- 1 kg raw green mangoes (cut into 4-8 pieces each)
- 1 cup white sea/rock salt
- 3 tbsps aniseed/fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbsps kalonji (onion seeds)
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 5 tbsps red chilli powder
- 2 tsp sturmeric powder
- 3 cups (710 ml) mustard oil
- Sterilise and thoroughly dry a glass pickling jar.
- Put the mangoes in the jar and cover with salt. Mix well and cover the jar tightly.
- Leave the jar out in the sun for a week so that the mangoes soften.
- Mix the aniseed/fennel, mustard, onion and fenugreek seeds, chilli powder and turmeric together.
- Add this spice mix to the mangoes.
- Heat the mustard oil till it smokes and then turn off the fire. Allow the oil to cool fully.
- Pour this oil over the mangoes so that all the pieces are submerged. Mix well.
- Put the tightly covered jar back in the sun for two weeks. Stir everyday to mix well.
- Eat with stuffed parathas and yogurt or with chapatis (Indian flatbread) and any vegetable dish.