- 1 cup Basmati rice (a long grain Indian rice)
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps vegtable, sunflower or canola oil/ghee
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash the Basmati rice well in running water.
- Add the 3 cups of water and salt to taste to the rice and set it up to boil.
- Once the rice is almost cooked (test a few grains often to check – they will feel soft on the outside but very slightly hard on the inside), remove from fire and drain the water by straining the rice through a sieve or colander. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat the oil/ghee till hot and add onions.
- Fry till light brown and then add the cumin seeds. The seeds will splutter and sizzle to show they are done.
- Now add the rice and stir well.
- Add 1/2 a cup of water to the rice and cover.
- Simmer till all the water dries up.
- Allow the rice to stand for another 2-3 minutes and then serve garnished with coriander leaves.